Among Environmental Social, and Economic Achievements Listed in 11th Annual Sustainability Report
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Alcoa (NYSE:AA) published its 2012 Sustainability Report, detailing the Company's global environmental, social and economic performance during 2012. Alcoa has produced the report for 11 consecutive years.
"The truest validation of our sustainability as a company comes from our stakeholders and society at large," said Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld. "Our miracle metal, aluminum, is an essential material for a sustainable global system that many societies and businesses are striving toward. We continue to show that the value of aluminum—its light weight, non-corrosive nature, and infinite recyclability, to name a few traits—significantly outweighs the impacts of its production."
Sustainable achievements featured in the report include:
- Reduced annual greenhouse gases by 23 percent since 2005.
- Included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes for the 11th consecutive year.
- Received the prestigious Catalyst Award for advancing women in the workplace.
- Launched the Alcoa Global Wellness Initiative to focus on the most important health issues for employees.
- Invested, via Alcoa and Alcoa Foundation, more than US$40 million in community programs, and employees volunteered more than 800,000 hours in their communities.
- Executed and delivered on 2012 financial targets despite an extremely challenging environment, especially with respect to primary aluminum, which had a London Metal Exchange average price of US$2,019 during the year.
More detail is available online in the Sustainability section of alcoa.com at http://www.alcoa.com/sustainability.
Alcoa is the world’s leading producer of primary and fabricated aluminum, as well as the world’s largest miner of bauxite and refiner of alumina. In addition to inventing the modern-day aluminum industry, Alcoa innovation has been behind major milestones in the aerospace, automotive, packaging, building and construction, commercial transportation, consumer electronics and industrial markets over the past 125 years. Among the solutions Alcoa markets are flat-rolled products, hard alloy extrusions, and forgings, as well as Alcoa® wheels, fastening systems, precision and investment castings, and building systems in addition to its expertise in other light metals such as titanium and nickel-based super alloys. Sustainability is an integral part of Alcoa’s operating practices and the product design and engineering it provides to customers. Alcoa has been a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for 11 consecutive years and approximately 75 percent of all of the aluminum ever produced since 1888 is still in active use today. Alcoa employs approximately 61,000 people in 30 countries across the world. For more information, visit www.alcoa.com, follow @Alcoa on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Alcoa and follow Alcoa on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Alcoa.