For the thirteenth year in a row, Alcoa (NYSE: AA) has been named to one of the most highly recognized and longest-standing global sustainability indexes, the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes (DJSI). Alcoa was again recognized as the Aluminum Industry Leader on the Dow Jones World Index.
“Sustainability is a core Value at Alcoa. No decision is made or action taken without a careful consideration of the economic, environmental, and social impacts that may result,” said Kevin McKnight, Alcoa Chief Sustainability Officer and Vice President of Environment, Health and Safety. “In 2013, we worked more safely with fewer environmental impacts. While we’re continuing to improve the sustainability of our global operations, our light-metal innovations are creating a more sustainable world by enabling greener cars and trucks, more fuel efficient airplanes and more energy-efficient buildings.”
Earlier this year, Alcoa announced that 2013 was its safest, most environmentally-efficient year on record. Highlights of Alcoa’s sustainability performance include:
- Safest year on record, with no employee fatalities and a 30 percent reduction in workplace injury rate
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions intensity by 25.5 percent from the 2005 baseline, and lowered absolute emissions by 3.1 million metric tons
- Introduced breakthrough bonding technology to enable aluminum-intensive vehicles that are lighter and more fuel-efficient
- Invested US$40.9 million in community programs through Alcoa and Alcoa Foundation
- 37,200 employees, or 62 percent, volunteered in their communities during a Worldwide Month of Service
Learn more about the company’s approach to sustainability and how its light-metal innovations are enabling a more sustainable world in Alcoa’s 2013 Corporate Sustainability Report.
A global leader in lightweight metals technology, engineering and manufacturing, Alcoa innovates multi-material solutions that advance our world. Our technologies enhance transportation, from automotive and commercial transport to air and space travel, and improve industrial and consumer electronics products. We enable smart buildings, sustainable food and beverage packaging, high-performance defense vehicles across air, land and sea, deeper oil and gas drilling and more efficient power generation. We pioneered the aluminum industry over 125 years ago, and today, our 60,000 people in 30 countries deliver value-add products made of titanium, nickel and aluminum, and produce best-in-class bauxite, alumina and primary aluminum products. For more information, visit www.alcoa.com, follow @Alcoa on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Alcoa and follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Alcoa.